Natural grass ATHLETIC fields are designed to withstand sports activities.
- Westfield has ZERO natural grass athletic fields.
- Westfield has minimally maintained schoolyards and parks, forced to serve as athletic fields.
Natural grass ATHLETIC fields offer many benefits:
- Durable, safer, virtually rain-out proof playing surfaces
- Provide far more hours of play than Westfield’s current playgrounds and parks that are being used as fields
- Absorb storm water and require less irrigation
- Free from toxic chemicals
- Provide cool and cushioned surfaces
- Do not need to be rested or replaced
- Grow stronger and resilient as soil health improves
- Captures and store carbon dioxide in the rootless and soil
- Cost far less to install and maintain than artificial turf over time
The Field Fund works with the towns, schools, and community of Martha’s Vineyard – including recreational sports leagues – to preserve and improve the island’s natural grass playing fields. They offer support to improve and better maintain their fields using a regenerative approach.
Check out their website to learn more about natural grass fields and links to other resources.